Thursday, December 24, 2009

I have never lost sleep before over equine law or veterinary malpractice. I've had a barn full of horses for 30 years and have been fortunate and I'd like to think diligent in having very few accidents and good outcomes when there is one. Years ago one horse coliced in the middle of the night and my vet was unable to save him. Two successful colic surgeries-both went on to have long careers and our 24 year old Polly still gives about 4 lessons a week and suffers through the county fair to give a few more trophies to a novice rider. The closest to this experience I can say I've had is when a local vet came out to the barn to do some work on a young stallion we had and when he started to get up before the work was done he was given one more injection to keep him down that proved fatal. I can still remember him jumping up and down on him, cussing at him not to die. When nothing he did changed the outcome he asked me what I thought the value of him was. I was fair and he wrote me a check. We remain friends to this day. The accident was not intentional, yet still a mistake was made. At any rate, I do lose sleep over equine law now, and it can be complicated. There are cases that are cut and dry though, and Reiley's case certainly seems to fall into that catagory. No one denies what happened to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment